Thursday, July 10, 2014

Happy Birthday Mom

Today would be my mom's 70th birthday and I am sure that she would be making Cate a special quilt already. I look back and reflect on my life as a child and her life as a mother. For the better part of her life she devoted her entire being to raising her children, we were all very lucky to have a mom like Nan. I learned most of what I know, well at least the stuff that really works from my mother. I will always remember when John David was a little guy, and she shared yet another piece of her maternal wisdom with me. She reminded me that when children are young all you have to do is keep it simple and to really play with them everyday even if it's just  10 or 20 minutes at a time. She said if you did this a few times a day you would have happy kids.  Today we did just that, kept it simple, a box was our entertainment, we made magic carpet out of a towel and giggled when Cate sniffed and snorted her bath bubbles. The toilet paper party this morning was also great fun, till we had to clean it up.

Thank you mom for taking the time to teach me the "old timey" stuff that never fails me when it comes to caring for my family. I am blessed to have a loving  husband,  two wonderful boys and now a new little one who sits with us each night at dinner. I wish you were here, you are missed, my heart is a little bit heavier today because I long for you to be able to hold your 14th grandchild in your arms. You often dreamt about your family and when it was about the little ones you said you could actually smell them in your dream, so tonight, for you I "powdered Cate up" (as you used to say to all the grand babies ) I hope you know she is here and surrounded with love. Happy birthday Mom, DFTR.....

In the kitchen sink fun with bubbles

In a box 

In a kiddie pool with John David showing her science experiments.

Got the shivers so Wyatt scooped up his new pal.

Early morning toilet paper party, so much fun we were late for the dentist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment